Histamine can cause symptoms of skin hives, runny nose, or sneezing. However, Atarax works as an antihistamine to tackle such issues. It also treats itches that are caused by allergies. This drug can be used to help you relax before or after a surgical procedure. It can also take care of anxiety.
Dosage and Administration of Hydroxyzine
Atarax must be consumed according to a doctor’s instructions. Don’t take smaller or larger doses or for an extended period than recommended. The drug comes with an information leaflet with specific use cases. Ensure you discuss any concerns with a health professional.
This medication is presented in an oral form and may be ingested with a meal or on an empty stomach. If you’re consuming the liquid, ensure to utilize a calibrated dosing device instead of an eating spoon for accuracy.
A physician will prescribe this drug according to your age, symptoms presented, and positive or negative treatment response. In pediatric cases, the weight would be used to work out the dosage. Ensure to check in with your physician if your condition deteriorates or you don’t see any improvement.
When used to relieve tension and anxiety associated with depression, morbid fear, and obsessive thoughts, adults, and children above six years should consume between 50 to 100 mg q.i.d. Pediatrics below six years should be administered 50 mg daily in divided doses.
For itching caused by allergies, adults should ingest 25 mg three or four times daily. Children above six years should ingest 50 to 100 mg and those below six years should take 50 mg daily in divided doses.
When used as a sedative, children should be administered 0.6 mg of Atarax per body weight while adults will consume 50 to 100 mg.
Precautions to Adhere to when Consuming Atarax
Prior to consuming Atarax, it’s imperative to take note of these recommendations:
- Inform the physician if you suffer allergies or react to hydroxyzine.
- Your physician should be informed of your case history, including cases of:
- Enlarged prostate
- Stomach ulcer
- Renal or hepatic diseases
- Atarax may affect your reasoning pattern. Therefore, avoid engaging in tasks that need mental alertness.
- Alcohol consumption may result in the emergence of unpleasant effects. Therefore, avoid consuming alcoholic drinks & beverages during therapy.
- Hydroxyzine might lead to QT prolongation, a condition that requires immediate medical care. Ensure to inform the physician if you suffer from bradycardia or CHF, or if someone in your family died due to cardiac arrest.
- Water pills, profuse sweating, and diarrhea might put you at risk when ingesting Atarax. Ensure the physician knows what you’re consuming before they prescribe this drug.
- The liquid form might contain ingredients that could harm patients suffering from liver disease or high glucose. Confirm with a physician about the safest method of consuming the medicine.
- The drug might trigger agitation in children. So, they may not feel drowsy during therapy. Therefore, an adult or a careful caregiver should monitor them during this time.
- Geriatrics are at risk of confusion or falling when taking this medicine. Therefore, Atarax should be prescribed to them with caution.
- Unless the gains outweigh the risks, pregnant women must avoid consuming Atarax because it might endanger the fetus. Patients should utilize a potent contraceptive to decrease the chances of becoming pregnant.
- Atarax may be present in breast milk, but there’s no concrete information on whether it can harm a suckling child. However, lactating patients should inform a physician prior to treatment.
Atarax Side Effects
People who’re allergic to Atarax might experience:
- Swollen face or mouth
- Inflammation in the throat
Common Atarax side effects are:
- Hard stool
- Decreased clarity in vision
The aforementioned effects will disappear as your system acclimatizes to the medicine. But if they stay longer than necessary or become worse, report them to a physician. If you develop a dry mouth, you can get relief by sucking on a sugar-free popsicle, or ice cubes, or drinking enough water.
Some serious Atarax side effects are:
- Poor attention span
- Urinary retention
- Cardiac arrhythmias
If you experience the above-mentioned effects, consult a physician immediately.
Information on Overdose
In case you consume more than the normal dose of hydroxyzine, call the emergency line or the local poison control team. You might experience difficulty in breathing, seizure, or severe drowsiness during this time. Children who consume the medicine in excess could become restless or irritable before they fall asleep.
What to Do if You Miss a Dose
Avoid consuming more than the recommended dose. If forget a dosage, consume the next one at the appropriate time.
Some medicines may affect the way hydroxyzine works or even trigger unpleasant effects. Below are some drugs that interact with hydroxyzine.
This article doesn’t present a comprehensive list of medicines that interact with hydroxyzine. However, it’s important to know all the products you’re consuming, whether they were prescribed or not. Ensure you don’t change the dose, or begin or quit any medication without seeking a physician’s consent.
Additionally, let a physician know whether you’re consuming products that induce sleep or dizziness. They could be cannabis, alcohol, opioids, cough syrups, and relaxation inducers.
Medications for flu and allergies might contain active & non-active ingredients that might cause sleep or drowsiness. Hence the need to read labels thoroughly before consuming the content. You may also ask a pharmacist to ascertain the safety of the medication before making a purchase.
How Long will Hydroxyzine Last in the Bloodstream?
Hydroxyzine will last for about 4 days. Its life span is about 20 hours, and it takes five times a drug’s lifespan for it to leave the bloodstream. It implies that this medication will stay for 100 hours before it’s completely removed from the bloodstream.
When will Atarax Become Effective?
Atarax is a quick-acting medication so the effects might kick in less than an hour after ingestion. The drowsy effect might last between four to six hours. However, when consumed for itching, it might take up to four days.